Thursday 30 September 2010

TESOL Interview

"It's not a formal interview... there's just a little test..."

How do you prepare for an interview if you're not even sure what to wear? Kath and Laura and I had practiced some grammar - mostly parts of speech - but we had no idea of the level of the test, nor of the intensity of the interview. Luckily for Kath and Laura, I got to go first...

And it wasn't that bad at all, really. Sean, the tutor, spent a lot of time talking about the course. The assessments seem really interesting - for example, we spend time observing lessons for a language we don't speak (Russian, say), which we then have to write a critical appraisal of. Sean's kind of manic - or was in the interview, at least. But I liked him. He's been to Japan to teach English too. Another information source, that's good.

The interview was simple, pretty much. We talked about why I wanted to do the course, what I thought made a good teacher, and what other languages I knew. Mostly it was Sean getting excited about his subject. Enthusiasm to spare! There was a test, and it was "just a little test" too - correcting some sentences, choosing some spellings, and a short written piece about teaching the differences between two types of English.

Yes, I passed. We start next Thursday. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment